Creating Tree Swallow Nest Box Projects:
- So, you think you might want to create a Tree Swallow nest box project? The
pages listed at left will take you through the process, step by step.
- Naturally, you'll need to know something about Tree Swallows, especially their
habitat and nesting requirements.
- You'll have to find a suitable project site and get permission to use it.
- You'll have to build boxes designed for Tree Swallows and locate them where
your swallows won't face competition from other birds.
- Your boxes must be mounted securely and protected from predators.
- Make no mistake, there's work involved.
- But don't be intimidated. This isn't rocket science. You can do it!
- However, you must understand that when you create a Tree Swallow nest box
project you are enticing wild birds to nest in structures you provide in
locations you have chosen. This makes you at least partially responsibility for
the survival of the adult birds you attract and the young they try to raise.
- You have an obligation to do it right, to minimize risks and maximize benefits
for the swallows that accept your boxes. Their welfare must always come first.
- Bottom line: If you do decide to create a Tree Swallow nest box project, take
your responsibilities seriously. You must plan carefully, and execute and
manage your project correctly.
- If you can't make this commitment, stop right here! If you aren't willing to do
it right, please don't do it at all.
- But, if you do commit and follow through, your swallows will repay you many
times over with the pleasure, satisfaction, and learning you receive.
Click here for Next Step: Tree Swallow Basics.
Learn About Birds at Tree Swallow Nest Box Projects
|Creating Projects, Tree Swallow Basics, Finding a Good Site,
Building Boxes, Box Location, Pole Options, Mounting Boxes, Predator Protection,
Bluebird Competition, Martin Competition, House Wren Damage, House Sparrow Damage